surfing #morefuninthephilippines

Went surfing at Baler last May. It was my first time to surf and I had a blast. I went to Aliya Surf Camp, and my surf mentor somehow became a friend. His name is Jemuel Fontanilla. He is true blue Baler guy. I think he was born there. He was nice and he was funny.

I think Jemuel has been pretty much of a nice mentor. He let me be me. I mean, I think he knew how giddy I was the moment I began standing on the board. :) For a first timer trying to surf, this guy has been pretty nice and patient. I was kind of comfortable with him. :) Jemuel has his own surf board but maintains his Aliya gig since most of his friends would do the same. If in any case you feel like going to Baler and learn how to surf, you may reach him through his cell number: 09185429208. I think you can also request him to be your tour guide in the island. :) He knows the place and could bring you to other town in Aurora for a trek or camp. He can also bring you to other surfing point in Baler not just in Sabang. :)

We stayed in a place called Little Surfer Girls' Lodge. Chona Cope, the owner, and her little girls were nice to our group. We stayed in a room good for 4 that costs around Php 1800 per night (pretty cheap actually)… What's nice about Little Surfer Girls' Lodge is the fact that's infront of the beach. YEAH! If you feel like staying in a simple but cozy lodge you may try reaching out to Chona through her cell number: 09175715094. The place has wifi access… but you have too look for your food - you may opt eating along the beach front (Bay's Inn that serves food after an hour) or prepare your own food. Just ask Chona if you feel like cooking, she has a place where you can cook. :)

Lastly, there is a souvenir shop along the strip - paKunswelo. Ate Baby has a number of goodies in her shop. What's nice about the shop is that behind it's success is a story of how Ate Baby struggled and eventually became successful. Ate Baby is the 2006 microentreprenuer awardee of the Citi Microentrepreneur of the Year. I have an idea on how she struggled, that's why I am kind of turned off to those customers who haggle for the sake of haggling. I mean, being meticulous on what you buy is something, but when you haggle just so that you can get a huge discount is another thing. The labor behind those nice bags or hats is something that some consumer should be thinking of. Sadly, I lost Ate Baby's number.

aliya surf camp...

my friend and her surf instructor

a souvenir shop along the strip



chona and the little surfer girls. :)

Baler has been a nice and fun experience for me. :)

Comments

Popular Posts