Deeply rooted

Mamasapano. Photo by GMA News TV
A week after Pope Francis' visit in the country, the Mamasapano clash happened. There may be money involved or say it's a politically motivated mishap which caused lives to both the police force and the Moro community.

The incident was a huge negation of the "mercy and compassion" expression during the Pope's visit. The clash generated hate... It somehow unearthed the silent prejudice haunting this nation for so long.

Prejudice against the Moros has been magnified and is still being magnified up to now. It somehow saddened me. All along, I thought, that the friends who grew up in Mindanao have more empathy towards our Moro brothers/sisters. But sadly it's a big NO. In fact, they're the ones who were kind of loud over social media on their disgust to the MILFs/Moros. And this somehow, bothered me.

You see, I grew up in Mindanao, but I spent most of my adult life here in imperial Manila. And each time, I would ride a cab, and get to converse with non-Mindanaon drivers, they always have an impression that I am a Moro, even if the only information they have is I am from Mindanao. I don't usually deny it. It somehow gives me a certain advantage, like, the impression that Moros are fierce and brave. I think, I would understand, if the feeling of uncertainty towards the Moros are from non-Mindanaons... and I could not just grasp why fellow Mindanaon would feel certain hate towards the Moros.

I tried understanding them, but I guess, it all boils down to the fact that my upbringing is different from theirs. I grew up having indigenous peoples as cousins, having Moros as classmates or neighbors. And religion or tribe classification did not define the kind of relationship I had with them.

Comments

Popular Posts